I spent most of last year messing around with a simplified version of an electronic markbook. Of course, ideally it should be standardised and built in (not to mention linked to a lesson planner), but it’s not. Despite the fact that we use electronic registration in my setting, we need to keep track of attendance, behaviour and achievement in our lessons individually. This of course has both advantages and disadvantages.
My markbook last year was effectively attendance and a set of homework marks. I tried keeping track of test marks, but found it meant I was slow transferring them to the school system. My original plan, of using my Android, on the school WiFi, failed as we’re not trusted with access for our own devices; at the moment not even staff can BYOD.
My ideal system would be based out of GoogleDocs, usable from work and school, on my own device and through a school desktop. My concerns on this one are about storing student information in ‘the cloud’. Until I can answer those questions to my own satisfaction, I’m sticking with Excel. Yes, I know, boo hiss etc etc. There are obviously alternatives. But remember, I’ll mainly be using this on school computers, which limits my options.
I can’t emphasize enough that this is intended for my own use, in my own setting. I’m mainly making it public so that colleagues online can point out how to make it better, to be honest. 🙂 I consider it creative commons licenced, like everything else I do, so please feel free to adapt and use it – but if so please share it yourselves (especially with me).
I’ve spent time setting up the dates for my own school, so the term dates and INSET days will probably need tweaking. I’ve marked these with shaded columns rather than removing them. It’s set to automatically copy first names from the ‘Group’ sheet to all the others. At present this covers up to 35 students, with six names in there so I could test it. There are sheets for each halfterm of teaching, and one each for
- group information
- seating plan
- homework record
- notes for myself for reports
I’ll be importing data on targets (and in time, summative test scores) into the Group sheets. (If you want to do this, you’ll probably want to export from your school system as a CSV file.) My plan is to then colour code these so I can see at a glance those students at each end of the ability range, so I can target questions if needed. It should be fairly easy to use conditional formatting so that results can also be colour coded to show how they are doing compared to targets. The reports notes page is based on the feedback I give to students, including the quick reference stickers I use for common errors. I keep track of lesson content by adding brief info in the row beneath students’ attendance – this could be hotlinked to files if you wanted.
Download blank 2012-2013 as xlsx file.
Please ask any questions – and more importanly, make suggestions or give feedback – in the comments.